Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Oh, Ellie!

While Ethan is at school, I try to do one girly thing with just Ellie. Today we painted our nails. I did her fingers and toes in a beautiful red. She sat so still while I did them and then sat still while they dried. She never does that! They looked really good. This is what I foud after lunch.



Ellie had gotten into the downstairs bathroom, pulled a chair in there, gotten the polish (all three colors - red, blue, and pink), and proceeded to reapply all three colors to her fingers and toes. Apparently she needed another coat.




No spare surface was spared - not even her legs and arms.


Not even the toast. Our basement looked a murder mystery scene with red polish spattered everywhere.




Not even my capet was spared. My poor, poor carpet. The worst, of course, was the red polish. I immediately ran upstairs and grabbed my nail polish remover and some carpet cleaner. The nail polish remover said "harmful for furniture and clothes" but I figured it couldn't be worse than what was already there so I applied liberally. And yes, I scrubbed. Mistake? Yes! Now instead of red spots, I had red blurs on my carpet. Jacob was NOT going to be happy with me. (Which, you would think he would be mad at Ellie, but I can hear his words, "Where were you?" already echoing in my ears. A: eating lunch.) So next came the carpet cleaner - which does wonders on everything else; except nail polish. It DID NOT do ANYTHING




I called my Mom at work who suggested the same things I had already used and then typed it into google. She came up with a link to a video on UTube, which said not scrub (I know!!) but blot with hydrogen peroxide, which worked a tiny bit. But I still had this huge red path of red all over my carpet.




So, next we broke out the trusty old Baking Soda, made a pasty scrub and went to work. And believe it or not, it worked like a charm. You know, I see on the back of the box how it tries to tell you that it will clean EVERYTHING. Well, it turns out, that they are absolutely right. When even a product specifically made to remove nail polish works - go to the tried and true - Baking Soda. It worked like a charm.




There are still little specks of blue and red here and there but I am betting that if I don't tell Jacob, he won't notice! And since I am 99.9% certain he NEVER reads this blog, he may never find out that I attempted to eat lunch in peace today.











2 comments:

Aimee & Brennen Fuller said...

Your secret is safe with me. :)

Sabrina J. Shy said...

LOL! So glad you got it cleaned.