Friday, October 23, 2009

Another Day at the Doctor's

I took Ethan back to the doctor's today. His breathing was not improving and I was worried about his oxygen levels. When we arrived Dr. Lish and his nurse Suzanne (who is also awesome!) were talking about Ellie being at the ER. So we talked about Ellie for a few minutes. He asked what had happened and I recapped the whole story. When I told him that she had been asleep he suggested that we get her an EEG. He said it was still most likely a Breath Holding Spell but he wanted to rule out a seizure all together. I agree! I would much rather be safe than sorry. I would rather pay out the wazoo in copays and deductibles than withold an important test that could possible discover a serious ailment. So they will be calling us for a date and time for her EEG. In the meantime, I have time to browse the many information highways to find out everything I can about seizures and an EEG!

When we finally got to Ethan he sent us over to the hospital to get chest x-ray, worried about pneumonia. I called my Grandma Youngberg who lives less than a block away from said hospital and dropped Ellie off. They are so good to play with the kids and I think they were happy to have some solo time with her without Ethan grabbing one of them away! I was glad that they were able to help because it took us nearly 1 1/2 hrs. at the hospital. Back at Dr. Lish's office he said it wasn't pneumonia but that he was swallowing alot of air.

We have heard this before and knew exactly what that meant - steroids. For those asthma newbies out there. Swallowing air isn't good. It basically means that because his lungs cannot absorb what he is breathing in - it is going into stomach. That creates pain and discomfort and in a two year old results in misbehavior. Steroids open up his bronchials and allow more air to be absorbed. The horrible thing about steroids is the side affects. Having had him on steroids before I knew this was coming but dreading it at the same time. Unlike his breathing treatments and inhaler (which are just inhaled steroids) they prescribe liquid steroids. Because they are liquid they get into his blood stream and therefore effect his brain and actions! So my at one time sweet little boy turns into a little terror. Doing everything but listen or be good. It's hard to be nice and understanding when your two year old throws something at your head or kicks you in the leg and then turns and runs - but it is just the medicine - not my boy. It is going to be a long week.

1 comment:

Aimee & Brennen Fuller said...

Sounds like you have a good doctor. Glad all is well or at least getting to be well. Sorry about the steroids. I'll have to make brownies this week for you. I'll even throw in extra chocolate chips. And you don't even have to share. :)